The For the People Act (H.R.1), sponsored by Maryland Congressman John Sarbanes, has passed the House of Representatives. If enacted, it will be a great step forward to strengthen U.S. democracy. The bill contains critical provisions:
- Limit gerrymandering of Congressional districts
- Increase ethics requirements for candidates and officeholders
- Ban dark money and regulate PACs
- Create a system of public campaign financing with matching of small contributions
- Promote access to the ballot, restrict voter suppression
- Improve election security.
Here is a more detailed Fact Sheet from Rep. John Sarbanes, the prime sponsor of H.R.1. (It’s S.1 in the Senate.)
Find more information on the Facebook event here.