Environmental Justice Subcommittee
Our Mission & Goals
Rather than focus on why people don’t support a stronger relationship with God’s earth, the Environmental Justice Subcommittee works to examine and explain what can motivate individuals and groups to improve the condition of the environment through direct action and advocacy in support of nature.
- Improve the environmental footprint of our parish, it’s members, and the community.
- To conduct direct action by implementing composting programs, tree plantings, neighborhood clean ups, energy reduction strategies, and other environmental efforts that improve our footprint through collaboration within the parish and with partners.
- To educate each other through information sharing and speakers who can help us accomplish these goals.
Justice & Peace Meetings
Follow Us on Social Media
Follow youth toward environmental sustainability, Pope Francis says
In the face of social and environmental crises, the world would do well to follow the lead of its young people, Pope Francis said. Read Article
Review of Climate Change 2021
Earlier this year, the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis. The full report, clocking in at a mere 3,949 pages, is an extensive assessment of the current evidence on the physical science of climate change. Read Article
Current Projects & Events
The Universal Apostolic Preferences (UAPs) and the Laudato Si’ goals and action plan insist that the Jesuits pursue ecological conversion. With transformed hearts, hearing the integrally connected cry of the Earth and the cry of the poor, we are called to the front...
APRIL 23-MAY 16 Walk with other Catholics as we learn, pray, and take action for environmental justice. In his encyclical Laudato Si’, Pope Francis invites all people to act on behalf of creation. This call to action is grounded in the principle of integral...
Our Meetings with the Offices of Senator Van Hollen, Senator Cardin, Congressman Sarbanes, & Congressman Ruppersberger.
Areas That Always Need Action
Sign up for a cleanup of the Jonestown neighborhood.
(details coming soon)
The Green Library
Check out the new Green Library in Ignatian Hall . You will find over a hundred books and articles on the environment. Books are arranged by author. You are welcome to take a book home but please return to the shelves after you have enjoyed it.
Current Environmental Reads
- Environmental Justice: A Catholic Voice
- To Save the Earth, Curb Militarism! An Appeal for Earth Day, 2018
- Encyclical Letter: Laudato Si
- Laudato Si: Download Pope Francis’ encyclical on the environment and human ecology
- Blue Water Baltimore
- Other Available Resources